About the North Kent Ophthalmology Service
The North Kent Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) comprising of NHS Medway, NHS Dartford, Gravesham and Swanley and NHS Swale CCGs have commissioned the North Kent Ophthalmology Service. This service is being delivered by The Practice Services Limited the largest independent provider of community ophthalmology services to the NHS holding 17 contracts with more than 20 CCGs across the country.
The Practice Services Limited will be introducing a Single Point of Access which allows patients and referrers to access the service easily. Introducing the Single Point of Access for all ophthalmic referrals will mean that patients will receive the right care, in the right place, at the right time, first time. The North Kent Ophthalmology Service will be working closely with the Local Optical Committee where initially twenty optometrist providers will be delivering the service within local optometry practices.
The main aims of the service are to:
- Provide a more equitable service across the three CCG areas;
- Streamline and simplify the service for both patients and referrers;
- Improve access to ophthalmic services by bringing care closer to the homes of patients;
- Ensure patients are seen by the right person for their care needs, first time;
- Increase value for money.